Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mason's Story

Mason is finally here and we couldn't be more happy, grateful, excited, tired, loved (I could go on and on ).

Mason was born at home Saturday morning at 4:50 am. He weighed 6lbs 14 oz and was 19.5 inches long. Although he wasn't a big baby he was a lot bigger than we thought he was going to be

Here is his story and some pictures

Thursday I went to see the midwife and she checked me for the first time, I was 39 weeks and anxious to know if anything was going on. I was 1 cm and 80% enfaced. She said baby was in good position and low enough that he should give me a good labor.

Friday morning when Austin got up for work at 3 am I felt some cramping and for some reason I just knew today was the day, as he left I told him "Mason is coming today, I know it" I have told him this often so he just brushed it aside and said I say that all the time. This time I knew.

I got up later that morning to go to work, I normally have Fridays off but I picked up a shift because I knew I would be having this baby anytime and I wanted the extra hours, plus I wanted to keep occupied and moving as much as I could. I went to work still having small cramp like feelings all morning, some hurt a lot and others were just uncomfortable. When I got off work I started feeling my first real contractions. They hurt. I went home and tried to take a nap but couldn't fall asleep. They were still super far apart, about 30-40 minutes apart, so I thought nothing of it. Austin worked a 12 1/2 hour day and came home exhausted, he decided he was going to skip a nap and go to bed super early. The contractions started getting worse but still only twice an hour.

I decided we would just pick something up for dinner and I would let Austin go to sleep. While eating I was noticing the contractions getting stronger and varied closer in time anywhere from 12-30 minutes apart. About 8:30 I told Austin to lay down and if any change happened I would wake him. At 10 I woke him up because they were getting super painful and only 7 minutes apart. I told him I wasn't sure if they would go away or what; this was our first go at labor and I had no idea what to expect. I kept thinking this was a false alarm because every story I have heard or read always seem to have a false alarm.

Between 10 and 12:30 the contractions continued to get stronger and still remain 3-6 minutes apart. We decided to time for another hour then call the midwife. at 1:30 I was unable to walk, talk, move and barely breath through them. I was hunching over in extreme pain every 3 minutes contracting. We called the midwife and my mom. My family showed up quickly before 2 am and my mom was a super help keeping me calm and reminding me to breath. Austin and my sisters set up the pool and got things ready.

Just after 2 am Kathy (our midwife) came. She checked me and I was already a 7! I laid in bed during the transition. This was an unpleasant time, I was uncomfortable and throwing up. At one point it was coming out of my nose, TMI?? I remember saying, "it's coming out of my nose, make it stop!"

Finally I moved to the pool. This was the most relaxing thing EVER!! I hurt still, I hurt bad. I was crying and trying my hardest to breath. The pool was amazing, the water was warm and allowed me to move into positions freely. Kathy checked his heartbeat and measured me again. I was a 9 and in a matter of time could start pushing. I was ready, I had the feeling to push but waited. Finally it was time. He was coming and I was ready. Austin positioned behind me supporting my back and whenever I contracted I pushed and pushed.

He began to come and all everyone could say was "look at all the hair" "honey he has so much hair" "oh Sarah his hair" Finally his head was out but his cord was tight around his neck. Austin said Kathy looked concerned but calm, she continued to tell me to give one more push. After a push or 2 she said out loud his cord was tight and he needed out. I was exhausted, hurting and had no energy but upon hearing that I was determine to push so hard, my baby needed out and NOW. With just 2 more pushed he was freed and placed in my arms.

He was perfect. His mouth and nose were suctioned and his little cried filled the room. Our baby was here and in my arms. I looked at him and then at Austin, I couldn't have been more happy. Austin immediately checked to make sure he was a boy, which of course he was =)

The cord was cut and Mason was handed to grandma while Kathy and Austin helped me out of the pool and to the bed. I was then given Mason immediately and was able to love him before he was bathed and clothed. The time was just before 5 am and everyone was surprised I went so quick. At the time it sure didn't feel quick to me but looking back it all went pretty fast. Kathy was certain when she got there that it was going to be another 12 hours before delivery. Man, am I glad it wasn't.

Mason is perfect in every way and the home birth was amazing.


  1. What an awesome story!! I'm so happy for you and so happy everything went well!

  2. Love all the pictures. Good job, mama!

  3. this is so sweet! austin looks so proud :)

  4. This is such an amazing birth story! So so happy for you :)

  5. This is a beautiful story!!! Everything sounds like it was so calm!!! Way to go for the home birth!!! :)


I love to hear your thoughts about my post!